
Escape to Paradise: Your Fairland Bungalow Awaits in Kandy, Sri Lanka
Escape to Paradise: Fairland Bungalow - Kandy: My Rambling, Honest Review (Buckle Up!)
Okay, deep breaths. Planning a trip to Kandy? Considering Fairland Bungalow? Good choice. I've been there, done that, and now, armed with my caffeine-fueled memory and a slightly scorched laptop (long story), I'm here to tell you everything. Forget the smooth, corporate brochures; this is real talk. This Fairland Bungalow review is going to be more chaotic than a monkey convention, but hopefully, way more helpful. Because, let's be honest, travel ain't always sunshine and rainbows, and you deserve the real deal.
First Impressions: Arrival and The Great WiFi Hunt
Getting to Fairland Bungalow is pretty straightforward, thanks to their airport transfer service (which, score!), but remember, this is Kandy. Roads are… well, let's call them “characterful.” So, be prepared for a scenic, albeit bumpy, ride.
I'm a digital nomad, so fast, reliable internet is basically oxygen. Fairland claims "Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!" and "Internet access – wireless," which had me doing a happy dance… until reality hit. The WiFi situation was… patchy, shall we say? Sometimes blazing, sometimes slower than a sloth in molasses. I spent a couple of hours chasing the signal: running to the lobby, then back to my room, and then back to the Wi-Fi in public areas, which didn't magically fix anything. But hey, they did have "Internet [LAN]"! Now, I'm not exactly au fait with LAN cables these days, so I gave up and, eventually, the Wi-Fi in my room stabilized, though it's worth noting that this is the kind of place where you might need a slightly stronger data plan if you are hoping to work.
Accessibility: A Mixed Bag (and a Note for Wheelchair Users)
Accessibility is, naturally, crucial. Fairland Bungalow says they have "Facilities for disabled guests". I have to be honest, it's not a fully accessible experience. There's no elevator, and the terrain itself around the Bungalow is hilly. Some areas, like the restaurants, are more easily accessible than others. If you have mobility issues, do reach out to the hotel directly before you book and ask specific questions about your needs. Their staff is generally helpful, but you need to be clear about your expectations. This is an area they could really improve on. Wheelchair accessibility is not guaranteed in the rooms, so that's something to check directly.
The Room: My Cozy Bunker with Blackout Curtains (And a Slight Panic)
Alright, the rooms. Mine was… lovely. "Non-smoking rooms," check. "Air conditioning," check. "Wake-up service," check (though my internal clock usually handles that). My favorite feature? The "Blackout curtains!" Oh, glorious, blissful darkness. I suffer from light sensitivity, so these were a lifesaver. There’s also "Coffee/tea maker," which is essential for me, and the "Free bottled water" was a welcome touch. I had a "Seating area," a "Desk," and the all-important "Wi-Fi [free]" (see above!).
The "Separate shower/bathtub" was great. I'm a bath person, so I was thrilled. But, and here's a confession, I’m a bit of a germaphobe. So, while I appreciated the "Bathrobes" and "Toiletries," I secretly wished I'd packed my own.
The "Safe box" was a plus. I'm paranoid about my passport.
Here’s the slightly… less glamorous bit. The "Additional toilet" wasn’t quite pristine when I arrived, and there was a slightly odd odor. I called reception, and they sent someone up immediately to fix it. So points for responsiveness, but maybe triple check the cleanliness before settling in.
Food, Glorious Food (and a Near-Disaster with the Curry)
Okay, let's talk food. "Asian breakfast," "Buffet in restaurant," "International cuisine in restaurant," "Vegetarian restaurant," "Room service [24-hour]"… Fairland Bungalow is a foodie's dream. Almost.
Breakfast was a mixed bag. The "Breakfast [buffet]" was plentiful, with a mix of Western and Asian options. Fresh fruit was amazing (seriously, Sri Lankan fruit is divine). The eggs were… well, the eggs were eggs.
I braved the "Asian cuisine in restaurant" for dinner one night. I'm usually pretty adventurous, but I ordered a curry, and it was spicy! My mouth was on fire. Luckily, I had ordered a "Bottle of water" with Dinner, and the staff was very helpful in bringing me some yogurt to cool things down. Pro tip: if you're not used to local spice levels, maybe start with something milder.
The "Poolside bar" was a win. Sipping a cocktail by the pool, watching the sun set over the misty hills… pure bliss. There is a "Snack bar" too, so if you want to keep things casual, then you can. There are some "Restaurants" and "Coffee/tea in restaurant," and the "Desserts in restaurant" were quite good.
Relaxation and Stuff: Spa Days and Gym Shenanigans
"Spa," "Swimming pool," "Gym/fitness," "Sauna," "Massage," "Foot bath"… Fairland Bungalow knows how to pamper you. They even offer "Body scrub" and "Body wrap". I went wild and opted for a massage and a soak in the jacuzzi. The view from the "Pool with view" was stunning. The spa staff are very skilled, the facilities are clean, but the spa is small, so you might need to book in advance.
The "Fitness center" is there, but it's not exactly state-of-the-art. More like a room with some weights and treadmills. But hey, something is better than nothing, especially if your goal is simply to maintain some sort of shape on holiday.
Cleanliness and Safety: Sanitizing, Disinfecting, and the Quest for Peace of Mind
In the current climate, this is vital. Fairland scores pretty well. They have "Anti-viral cleaning products," "Daily disinfection in common areas," "Staff trained in safety protocol," and "Rooms sanitized between stays." "Hand sanitizer" is readily available (thank goodness). The "Doctor/nurse on call" is a nice touch, and "First aid kit" are available. I felt quite safe regarding hygiene.
Services and Conveniences: The Good, the Bad, and the Slightly Odd
Let's run through the highlights: "Daily housekeeping" was excellent. "Laundry service" was convenient. "Cash withdrawal" available. "Concierge" was helpful.
The "Gift/souvenir shop" was… well, it existed. The selection was a little limited for me, but it's there if you need it.
Now, some quirks: the "Shrine" on the property. Fairland Bungalow is located near a Buddhist Temple, which is a really cool spiritual experience. It is very traditional, so if you're not familiar with this type of experience, you might feel a little out of place.
Things to Do: Beyond the Bungalow
Kandy is packed with things to see and do. From the Temple of the Tooth Relic to the Botanical Gardens, you won't be bored. Fairland can arrange "Airport transfer," "Car park [free of charge]" and even a "Taxi service", so getting around is easy.
There are "Indoor venue for special events" and "Outdoor venue for special events", so if you are planning events, this could be a good option.
For the Kids: Family-Friendly? Maybe.
Fairland Bungalow says it's "Family/child friendly." They offer "Babysitting service." But Honestly, I didn't see a lot of specific kids amenities on display.
My Verdict: Should You Book? YES, With Caveats!
Fairland Bungalow is a lovely place. It’s not perfect and there are some areas that could improve, but it is a great option if you are looking for a place to stay in Kandy.
Here's my pitch:
Escape to Paradise: Your Fairland Bungalow Awaits – But Be Ready for Adventure!
Tired of cookie-cutter hotels? Craving a unique, authentic Sri Lankan experience? Fairland Bungalow in Kandy is calling your name!
Picture this: you, lounging by the sparkling "Swimming pool [outdoor]", cocktail in hand, with breathtaking views of the lush Kandy hills. Imagine waking up to a fragrant "Asian breakfast" or a hearty "Western breakfast" in your cozy, air-conditioned room (remember the "Air conditioning," people!), complete with "Blackout curtains" for those much-needed lie-ins.
Fairland Bungalow offers a slice of paradise, but it's not your average resort. It's a place where you can truly unwind, whether you're indulging in a rejuvenating massage at the "Spa," working out at the "Fitness center," or simply exploring the vibrant city of Kandy.
The staff at Fairland are generally warm and welcoming, going above and beyond to make
Waltham Cross Luxury Flat: FREE Parking! (Cheshunt, UK)
Fairland Fiasco: A Rambling Kandy Romp (aka, My Sri Lankan Survival Guide)
Day 1: Arriving in Paradise (and Immediately Questioning My Choices)
Morning (Err, More Like Mid-Day): Arrive at Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB). Okay, so the visa process? A breeze. Smooth sailing, thought I. Then… Sri Lanka. Hit me like a warm, fragrant, sweaty wave. The humidity is seriously a character in this story. Found a driver, thankfully, a lovely bloke named Sunil. He's wearing the traditional sarong, and I swear I saw a tiny, mischievous glint in his eye the whole drive. He may have also judged me for only bringing one travel suitcase for the month. The drive to Kandy took roughly three hours, mostly due to the traffic but also because Sunil kept stopping to point out every rice paddy. Bless him. By the time we reached Fairland Bungalow, my brain was officially fried.
Afternoon: Fairland Bungalow! Photos didn't do it justice. Lush, green, perched on a hillside. The view? Jaw-dropping. The room? Okay, so maybe the bedspread pattern is a little aggressively floral. And the mosquito net? A battlefield of rips and tears. But the balcony… oh, the balcony. Pure bliss. Immediately ordered a pot of Ceylon tea and sat, trying to absorb it all. This is what I came for, right? This is… relaxing. Right?
- Minor Mishap/Major Humour: Attempted to unpack. Immediately realised I’d forgotten my toothbrush, a travel essential. Found a stray gecko in the bathroom. Named him Geoffrey. (He's keeping me company.)
Evening: Decided to be adventurous and venture out for dinner. Found a little "hole in the wall" restaurant Sunil recommended. The rice and curry? Spicy dynamite. Tears were definitely shed, but I couldn't stop eating. The flavours! The intensity! I'm pretty sure my taste buds are permanently altered. Got hopelessly lost trying to find my way back, nearly got attacked by a friendly (but persistent) stray dog, and then… stumbled upon the most glorious view of Kandy lit up at night. Worth it. Absolutely.
Day 2: Temples, Textiles, and Tourist Trauma
Morning: Woke up to Geoffrey’s chirping (or whatever geckos do), and felt the delicious sting of a mosquito bite on my ankle. Breakfast at the Bungalow was a traditional Sri Lankan breakfast, the fried egg was incredible, it was accompanied with spicy dhal and a coconut roti. I decided to be a responsible tourist and explore! First stop: The Temple of the Tooth Relic. The crowds were insane. And the heat? Merciless. Beautiful, undeniably, but the sheer volume of people! I briefly lost my mind, and almost elbowed a small child in the face. (I quickly apologized.) I then tried to take one picture of a group of monks, when I saw their faces, and I felt really ashamed. I quickly left the area. It was a lot.
- Quirky Observation: The temple guards have a very serious way of walking. Like, Olympic-level concentration. It's fascinating and slightly intimidating.
Afternoon: Determined to redeem myself after the temple experience. Visited a textile factory recommended by my driver. Witnessed the painstaking process of silk weaving, and fell in love with a vibrant, emerald green scarf. The shop owner then tried to convince me to buy an entire bolt of silk. I politely declined. He looked disappointed. I think he may have also tried to sell me a small, stuffed elephant. I fled. (With my glorious scarf.)
Evening: Dinner at a restaurant near the lake. Ordered a "mild" fish curry. It was so hot, I thought my head was going to explode. Managed to eat most of it, because, let's be honest, the flavour was worth the pain. Afterwards, wandered around the lake, watched the bats flitting overhead, and felt… unexpectedly peaceful. Managed to actually find my way back to Fairland without getting lost. Success! Although, Geoffrey greeted me with what I could only interpret as a slightly judgemental chirp.
Day 3: More Kandy, More Chaos, and a Close Encounter with a Monkey
Morning: Decided to try and tackle the Royal Botanical Gardens. Arrived and promptly got overwhelmed. The sheer size of the place is staggering. The plants! The trees! The paths that seemed to lead nowhere! Got hopelessly lost. Spent a good hour just wandering, feeling the sun on my face, and eventually found my way back to the entrance, completely disoriented but also strangely content.
- The Monkey Incident: Was admiring a particularly impressive banyan tree when a monkey launched itself onto my shoulder. I screamed. It grabbed my water bottle. Then it peed on me. The other tourists found it highly amusing. I did not. Managed to wrestle the bottle back, but I smell slightly of monkey urine now. Traumatic.
Afternoon: Found a quiet little café, managed to wash the smell from my clothes, and poured myself a large cup of coffee. Sat and journaled my thoughts and had a good long cry. Honestly, this trip is a rollercoaster of emotions.
Evening: Decided to treat myself to a massage at the bungalow. Amazing! The tension from the monkey incident (and everything else) melted away. Dinner was a quiet affair on the balcony, with a stunning sunset and a renewed sense of optimism (and a healthy application of mosquito repellent). Maybe, just maybe, I'll make it through this trip with my sanity (and my clothes) intact.
Day 4: Leaving Kandy (With a Heavy Heart… and Possibly a Few Bites)
Morning: Farewell, Fairland Bungalow! Packed my (slightly smelly) bags. Gave Geoffrey a final, slightly hesitant wave. Sunil arrived, looking as cheerful and serene as ever. The drive back to the airport was quiet, reflective. Kandy had been… challenging. But also beautiful. I am not sure I will ever be the same person.
Afternoon: The airport was its typical chaos. The security lines were so long, I think I aged a decade. Managed to snag a decent cup of coffee made some new friends.
Evening: On the plane, reflecting on the adventure I just had, I feel the sting of a mosquito bite on my ankle. The memories, the smells, the tastes, the chaos… I felt a genuine sense of missing Sri Lanka. I think there is something about this paradise, I will never forget it.

Escape to Paradise: Fairland Bungalow FAQs (Because Seriously, You Have Questions!)
Okay, Fairland Bungalow... Is it Actually THAT Good? Like, Instagram-Good?
Alright, alright. Let's be honest. Instagram? The *curse* of our generation. Fairland Bungalow? Yeah, it *looks* gorgeous in photos. And listen, the pool overlooking the hills? Totally worth the 'gram (I confess, I took *hundreds*). But is it *all* perfect? Nope. Nothing ever is, right? The photos don't show you the slightly wonky shower (which, let's be real, is a classic Sri Lankan charm -- good water pressure though!), or the occasional cheeky monkey eyeing your breakfast from the balcony. But those imperfections? They make it, well, *real*. They are part of the charm.
I actually arrived late, and my flight was delayed, and I was *hangry* after a long day. The staff were so kind and patient, and the cold towel they handed me? Actually changed my whole attitude. I'm talking instant reset. I immediately found myself relaxing into the very comfy lounge chairs. Was it perfect? No. But was it wonderful? Hell yes!
Is Kandy Actually Paradise? And, Is this Bungalow a Good Base?
Paradise? Kandy, I'd say, flirts with the idea. It's got the lush landscapes, the Temple of the Tooth, the vibrant markets – all the postcard stuff. Driving through the roads? A little bit of a chaotic experience. But the views? The tea plantations? Worth it. You have to expect a slight level of chaos to get around, and that's part of the deal in a developing nation.
Is Fairland a good base? Absolutely. It's far enough away from the immediate hustle and bustle of the city to feel genuinely peaceful, but close enough to explore all the main sights. I mean, I got to the Temple of the Tooth in like 15 minutes, which was great, and I would definitely say that's a massive plus. Just be prepared for a (small) amount of travel time to get anywhere. It's nothing that takes away the experience.
What's the Deal with the Food? Should I Pack Snacks?
The food at Fairland... oh man. Okay, so let me explain, I am a massive foodie--I literally plan my entire travel itinerary around what I eat. I had some of the best meals of my life in Sri Lanka, and Fairland contributed a lot to that. The breakfast? Forget about packing snacks. You will be full for, like... at least until lunch. The Sri Lankan breakfast? It's a curry feast, so good. So, so good. Don't be a wimp like me and order the omelette. Embrace the spice! The chef? A wizard. Honestly.
I even put in an order for a dinner-time curry from them, and it was a level up. Was it authentic, like from someone's home? No. Was it delicious and filling? Absolutely. The portions are generous, and you won’t be hungry. But... I *did* pack snacks. A bad habit. You know, just in case. Still, I ended up giving most of them away. Because seriously, the food is phenomenal. Skip the snacks. Trust me on this. You’ll be too busy stuffing your face with deliciousness.
What's the Vibe? Relaxed or Party Central?
Relaxed. Utterly, completely, blissfully relaxed. This isn't a place for a wild rave (thank goodness!). This is about sipping tea on your balcony, watching the mist roll over the hills, and maybe – *maybe* – taking a dip in the pool when you decide to, and then relaxing some more. You can hear the birds in the trees. It's pure chill. I'm talking, "leave all your worries at home," kind of zone. It's the kind of place you can finally finish that book you've been meaning to read for ages. Unless, like me, you're too busy gazing at the scenery.
I went solo, and I seriously appreciated the quiet. It was exactly what I needed to recharge. I will say this, it's pretty isolated from the night life. It's all good if you're looking for peace of mind.
The Rooms? What are They Like? (Are They CLEAN?)
Clean? Okay, let's talk cleanliness. My own house isn't always spotless, let's be honest. But Fairland's rooms were spotless. I mean, properly. And I am picky. So picky. The linen was fresh. The bathroom? Immaculate. The decor? Simple, stylish, and totally in keeping with the serene atmosphere. And I am easily distracted by the outside, so I loved the large windows and how they connected to the outside environment. It really is as if you're staying in the middle of paradise.
The rooms are spacious, with good AC (essential!), comfy beds, and, most importantly, a balcony with a ridiculous view. And the shower pressure? A-plus. Seriously, a clean, well-maintained room is a massive win in my book. Totally worth it, 10/10.
Is There Anything I Should Worry About? (Besides Monkeys)
Alright, let's address the elephant (or, you know, the monkey) in the room. The monkeys. Yes, they're around. They're cute, but they're also… well, they're monkeys. They're persistent. Hide your snacks. Keep your doors closed. That's the only real thing you need to worry about.
Beyond that? Traffic on the roads can be a *touch* chaotic, so factor in travel time. Pack mosquito repellent, that's a standard. And be prepared to be charmed. That's the biggest risk Fairland poses. Prepare to fall in love with the place and to never want to leave.
How do I get there and around?
Getting to Kandy is pretty straightforward. I took a taxi from the airport, which was about a 3-hour ride -- not the most exciting thing, but also not terrible. It's a good option if you're in a hurry. You can also take a train, which is more scenic (and potentially VERY crowded - I've heard some horror stories). From Kandy town to the Fairland bungalow, you can take a tuk-tuk (super fun!) or hail a taxi, which is pretty easy. The staff will help arrange transport if you need it. They're really great when it comes to that.
Getting around Kandy itself... that's a bit of an adventure. Tuk-tuks are everywhere and a trulyQuick Hotel Finder

